Care for ME
Echidna Care Training
Becoming a Echidna carer with NQ Wildlife
Join our family of Echidna carers
NQ Wildlife Care runs courses throughout the year in Echidna care and rescue / become a member /take a course /grab the skills you need and start caring for our echidnas in your home
Being a carer is the most rewarding experience ever.
Becoming an Echidna carer
- Here at NQ Wildlife, we run carers courses as we like to give you the best chance of being the best carer you can be.
- Echidna species we have in Queensland is the Short Beaked Echidna
- The echidna is a spiny, ant-eating animal that lives in Australia and New Guinea.
- They are made to dig with sharp claws and sharp hair (their spines are actually their hair)
- They are egg-laying mammals!
- Slow moving with not good eyesight.
- Most echidna come into care after being hit by cars. So its human that are their biggest problem
- Most animals come off very poorly after an encounter with an adult echidna.
- Our Echidna course will give you the skills to handle these spiky little diggers and the knowledge to rehabilitate them so they can be released back into the wild.
- Echidna care is a speciality wildlife craft and you need special enclosures as they are diggers with great skills, and need to be kept really cool as well.
- You need a permit to rehabilitate echidna.
- This can be achieved by becoming a NQ Wildlife member doing our wildlife course and echidna care training’
- We look forward to having you join our Wildlife team of carers
- We rehabilitate to release!
We give our wildlife the best possible chance of surviving once released back into the wild
For any information on rescuing/rehabilitating echidnas’ please call us at
NQ Wildlife Care on 0414 717 374
if you are interested in becoming a carer also please get in touch
we provide training, support and resources for our carers.